The Federal Government is experiencing restructuring and downsizing in an increasing number of agencies. As a result, some Federal employees may ultimately find themselves in a position of having to transition to a new job. To ease that transition, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is committed to providing Federal agency personnel with the necessary tools to manage their workforce and their careers.
This memorandum provides links to existing guidance and resources on OPM’s website for Federal employees and human resources personnel. Also included are resources sponsored by the Department of Labor and sites with career information and opportunities in the private sector.
- Find and Apply for a Job with the Federal Government Using the USAJOBS website atwww.youtube.com/user/USOPM#p/u/32/R0kL4l65IOs
- Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) and Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments (VSIP) atwww.youtube.com/user/USOPM#p/u/18/TFH3OrQCvwk
- Reduction in Force (RIF) at www.youtube.com/user/USOPM#p/u/21/HWKkGA_aNXA
Employee Resources – www.opm.gov/Reduction_In_Force/employee_resources/index.asp
- Career Transition Resources provides policy on career transition and the regulations which enable employees to take charge of their own careers and find job opportunities within the Federal Government. Also contains links to USAJOBS tips on applying for a Federal job.
- Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) encourages voluntary separations by reducing the age and service eligibility requirements for retirement to help agencies complete organizational change with minimal disruption to the workforce.
- Voluntary Separation Incentive Payments (VSIP) or buyout authority, allows agencies that are downsizing or restructuring to offer employees lump-sum payments up to $25,000 as an incentive to voluntarily separate.
- Summary of Transfer of Function – A transfer of function takes place when a function ceases in one competitive area, and moves to one or more other competitive areas that do not perform the function at the time of transfer. This summary covers the rights of non-temporary employees who have the right to move with their work to another organization if the alternative is separation or downgrading by a reduction in force (RIF).
- Summary of Reassignment covers the procedures in the reassignment regulations. With this summary, employees, managers, union representatives, and others will have an overview of both the agency and employees rights in a reassignment situation.
- Summary of Reduction in Force covers the procedures in OPM’s RIF regulations.
- The Employee Guide to Reduction in Force Benefits provides anoverview of benefits and entitlements when employees are affected by a RIF.
- USAJOBS 3.0 is the Federal Government’s official one-stop source for Federal jobs and employment information available at www.USAJOBS.gov.
- Career One Stop, sponsored by the Department of Labor, focuses on private sector jobs and provides tools to help job seekers, students and career professionals. www.careeronestop.org.
- Vet Guide – This site provides information about veterans’ preference in RIF. This site also explains the special provisions that apply in determining whether retired military members receive preference in RIF and whether their military service is counted. www.opm.gov/staffingPortal/Vetguide.asp#3
- Feds Hire Vets is a site for Federal employment information for veterans, transitioning military service members, their families, and Federal hiring officials. www.FedsHireVets.gov
- Vet Net: Transitioning from military to civilian life presents unique challenges. To make things easier and provide structure, a few of the leading organizations in veteran career development have combined forces to create one, easy place to start. http://www.vetnethq.com/
The following links are provided as examples of community/non-Federal resources available to assist employees. OPM does not endorse any one particular job information/guidance provider.
- Goodwill Community Foundation – Resources and training available at: www.gcflearnfree.org/jobsearch
Agency Human Resources Directors are encouraged to disseminate this information to your respective agency personnel. We will update the OPM website to organize these resources for easy reference.
OPM’s Recruiting Policy and Outreach offers workshops on interview techniques, resume writing, and finding and applying for Federal jobs. If your agency has interest in any of these OPM workshops, or if you wish to submit additional topics for consideration, please send your requests or inquiries to email@example.com to enable OPM to continually provide needed services to our customers.